Friday, January 12, 2007

Easy Chair

I went to the dentist yesterday. Going to the dentist is easier these days than the olden days that I remember. I even dropped off to sleep yesterday while I was having my teeth cleaned. In my youth the dentist chair was simply a modified barber chair and slightly less comfortable. In the early 50s we lived next door to a young industrial designer. He worked for a famous industrial designer in New York. One day after a few beer he explained what his group was working on. It was a comfortable, reclining dental chair. That may not seem like a radical concept today. But it was in those days.

I didn't appreciate this genius at the time and only gave him credit for being a pretty good surf fisherman on weekends. Funny how a revolution can stare you in the face and all you see is the light pole it is leaning against.

Need a nap. - go to the dentist.

3 comments:

Archana said...

OMG! You fell asleep at the dentist? You lucky guy!!

Everytime I go to the dentist for *anything* at all I clutch at the sides of the chair till my knuckles almost turn white :-(! Forget about sleeping, it is all I can do to sit there instead of springing up and running away!

I can only imagine how much worse it would be if I sat in sth like a barber's chair...

kenju said...

I have done that too. Our dentist's chair is very comfortable and hugs my body like a glove.

east village idiot said...

I used to be very relaxed at the dentist as a kid. But now I tend to think about how much the visit is going to cost me and it pretty much keeps me wide awake.