Thursday, October 12, 2006

Justice Can Smell - A Not Nice Story

I believe it was around 1958. I was involved in the formulation of laundry detergents. Some one had the brilliant idea that what the world needed was a detergent with a special deodorizing ingredient. This brainstorm ignored the fact that the simple act of washing soiled fabrics would usually improve their odor. No, we had to have an ingredient that made this product better than any other. To test the product we needed some really stinky something to wash. So each morning a bunch of employees with young babies had to wake the poor baby, change its diaper and take the soiled diaper to work with them where it became a tool of performance evalution.

So I left for the job at 6:30 in the morning with briefcase in one hand and a securely wrapped diaper in the other. On the commuter train the package went into the overhead rack. When the train got to Hoboken, I was half way through the station when I realized I had left the package on the rack. I hurried back to the train, but there was no sign of the diaper. Asking the conductor yielded nothing. Lost and found had no package turned in that morning.

I continued on to the office wishing I could see the thief's face when he found out what he had swiped.

7 comments:

east village idiot said...

What a laugh. And by the way....I can never make a bowl of pancake batter without remembering your post about the army dining hall in the south pacific. I'm just waiting to see a rat poke it's head out at me! Seriously - it's tatooed in my brain!

Anonymous said...

Too much info...

Laura said...

lol good stuff!

serves them right for nicking it :)

Anonymous said...

The thief got what he deserved. Reminds me of a story at my work. Someone sent out an email explaining that his burrito had been stolen from the fridge. And as mad as he was to have his burrito swiped, he wanted to inform the thief that the germ-filled burrito had a special surprise, as the emailer was fighting the flu.

Candice

Archana Bahuguna said...

That is the funniest I have heard till now :-). I swear, that guy would have got what he deserved! ;-)

Archana said...

:-D! LOL - I have seen an almost exact sequence of events happen in a Tamil movie - did not know it happened in real life too :-))!

Mariah J said...

Thaanks for the post