Saturday, May 08, 2010



For those of you that don't recognize this fellow, he is a purple gallinule. This particular one had quite a sense of humor. He used to jump (fly) up on to the dock when I rode my bicycle out onto it. Believe it or not, in this picture he is on his way to untie my shoe laces. (He may have thought they were food, but I like the sense of humor premise.)

I seldom get down to the dock any more, but I doubt that the gallinules are still around, there has been a lot of development since this picture. But I am sure that they are still building nests somewhere in the wetlands of Florida. I just wanted to post the picture to remind us how many beautiful creatures we will lose if the Oil Spill gets caught in the Gulf stream and makes its way onto the coast of Florida and seeps a little further in-land. Man shouldn't really have the right to destroy such peace loving beauty.

4 comments:

kenju said...

I have never seen a gallinule before, so I'm happy about your photo. I am afraid for all the animals in the swamps and wetlands.

Bharathis said...

There is news here that the house sparrows are disappearing at an alarming rate from the cities as their navigatory skills are affected by the microwaves broadcast by the ubiquitous cell phone towers. Cost of progress?

Floridora said...

Wow! I hadn't heard that. What's next?

AMIT said...

Wow this bird is so beautiful.

Adsense Alternative