Sunday, August 21, 2005

Jiffy Memories

Jiffy Memories

Memory is a strange partner. As we get older we spend an ever larger part of our time with our memory. Yet, at the same time our memory is so imperfect. Why, for instance, do I recall, out of all the little seconds in the past eighty years, the following few?
We (Johnny S. and I) we on an Army twenty-mile hike in Georgia. We got a ten minute break and sat on side of the road. After a few minutes, I calmly said, “John, get up.”
He didn’t reply and didn’t move. So I repeated, “Get up, John.”
Lazily, he gave me a gruff, “Why?”
“Because there is a damned rattlesnake right beside your ass’”

I am not sure when he, in full-field pack, stopped running. But, when next I saw him he was MAD! He was mad at me. Boy! Was he mad! Why me???

No comments: